Hello! My name is Dena Gabr-Manzanarez and I have been teaching in the North Bergen School District since 2003. I was a Kindergarten classroom teacher for 14 years and for the past three years I have been teaching Title 1 at Lincoln Annex.
I work daily with students on phonics skills as well as math. We use the same phonics program that is used in your child´s homeroom which is Wilson Fundations. At this point, students who are in my group should be able to do the following:
- recognize rhyming words and begin to produce their own sets of rhymes
- identify the beginning sound in a word
- identify the ending sound in a word
- identify the medial sound in a word
- recognize all 26 letters in the alphabet (both uppercase and lowercase)
- identify the 5 vowels (a, e, i, o, u -both long and short sounds)
- read and write CVC words (consonant-vowel-consonant)
- Identify the following trick words: the, a, and, are, to, is, his, as, has, was, we, she, he, be, me, I, you
The tabs to the right are links to some fun videos that we do in class that help with all of the skills listed above. Please try and have your child practice while at home.
In addition, your child should be utilizing the IXL website. This website has lessons specifically geared towards your child and helps build skills and confidence levels. Your child's username and password was sent home when your child was enrolled in Title 1. If you need any assistance with logging on, please send me an email and I will be happy to help.
If you have any questions or concerns about the Title 1 Program or how your child is doing, please do not hesitate to reach out to me via email or you can call the main office at (201) 295-2925 and leave me a message.
Thank you and I look forward to a successful school year for your child!